Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Heceta Head Lighthouse Hike

The 5th of July in Florence dawned bright, clear (and a bit windy and cool), so Dan and I and our visiting friends decided to take the hike off Highway 101 that leads to the Heceta Head Lighthouse. I can't imagine a more gorgeous or majestic setting for a hike. The ancient trees tower up to the sky, and at every turn along the trail you are treated to vast seascapes and ocean waves crashing along the shore. At times I found it hard to remember that the highway and the world were just over the next hill. Although much of the old growth and beautiful forests in Oregon have been mowed down over the years, I am grateful for those which have been left untouched, and that I am given the opportunity to walk among these most spectacular surroundings. The Heceta Head Lighthouse had been closed for a number of years, and was reopened just prior to our arrival in Florence. Dan and I were the only visitors to the lighthouse the first time we visited; this time there were at least 2 dozen or more visitors. Here are some updated pictures from our hike to the lighthouse this time around.






 

 

No comments: