Saturday, February 9, 2008

Phoenix, Arizona





While staying in Mesa, we of course did a tour of the Arizona State Capital in Phoenix. The original capital building has been turned into the Arizona State Capital Museum, with the functional offices moved to more modern buildings on either side of the main entrance. The museum was interesting; I always learn something at every capital we visit. For instance, I learned about the “Buffalo Soldier” that Bob Marley sings about (which I probably should already have been aware of, had I paid more attention in history class). I also found the USS Arizona display interesting, since I had visited the actual sight of the sunken ship when we were in Oahu in March this year. My knowledge of history and geography are growing and improving as we take the time to visit these places of historical interest. I’m learning much more than I would from a book, watching television, or even sitting in a classroom. Experience is really the best teacher! We have now visited seven state capitals – only 43 more to go! Attached are a few shots from our tour.

Next Stop: Yuma, Arizona!

No comments: