Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Anza Borrego Desert State Park (San Diego, California)

I love to hike! Finally being back to the places that literally beckon me to don my hiking boots, grab my walking sticks, and set out on the trail has done wonders for my spirit. From the coast to the desert, San Diego seems to have it all, too, with no shortage of scenic hiking trails to discover and explore. On Tuesday April 9 Dan, my sister Jennifer, and I set out for the Anza Borrego Desert State Park located within the Colorado Desert of Southern California, about 90 miles northeast of San Diego, but still within San Diego county (that's one big county!). Often notable for the lavish displays of wildflowers this time of year, we were disappointed to find just the opposite to be true. Two years in a row of below average rainfall was to blame for the lack of color in the park, but we still had a very satisfying hike on the Palm Canyon trail which winds back into the hills to a hidden oasis. Here we were treated to waterfalls, trickling streams, a stand of palm trees, and patches of greenery you normally don't expect to find in a dry desert setting. We kept an eye out for the native longhorn sheep that had been sighted along the creeks recently, but didn't see any that day. Below are some pictures from our hike.














No comments: