Thursday, September 6, 2012

Bicycling at Treasure Island

In all the years I lived in Sacramento, and all the trips I made to San Francisco and the surrounding area, April 2012 was my very first visit to Treasure Island. Dan and I, along with my sister Nancy, her husband Ron, and my nephew Kyle spent the day riding our bikes around Treasure Island, taking in the sites, sampling wine at a couple of wineries, and picnicking. An artificial island in the San Francisco Bay between San Francisco and Oakland, Treasure Island is connected by a small isthmus to Yerba Buena Island, and was created in 1936 from fill dredged from the bay. The Island is named after the novel "Treasure Island", by Robert Louis Stevenson who lived in San Francisco from 1879 to 1880. The island has had various incarnations over the years, but now it serves as a popular tourist destination, is a favorite scenic view of the locals and photographers, and a popular place to watch the sunset. The day we were there was just warm enough, with a light breeze, perfect weather for being outdoors on the San Francisco Bay.











No comments: